And, I’m not talking about Democrat John Kerry and his Iraq War votes.
And the subject?
When anti-pork Republican John McCain became Obama’s opponent, Obama started becoming anti-pork, too.
What would McCain do if Congress sent him a pork-laden bill?
What did Barack Obama do when Congress sent him a pork-laden bill?
As I have said before, politicians should be judged on what they do, not what they say.
Not to worry, a retired high school social studies teacher told me at lunch. A small percent of the total.
“A rounding error,” I observed to be polite.
It turns out it was $7.7 billion for pork in a bill of $410 billion.
1.9%–a bit more than a rounding error.
= = = = =
Below is the list of what Illinois Congress folks got in this year’s budget,the one just passed and signed only about six months after the beginning of the fiscal year. The earmarkers are listed in descending order from highest to lowest dollar amount of pork projects.
- Dick Durbin, 48 projects totaling $35,577, 250
- Ray LaHood, 23 earmarks totaling $8,774,250
- Rahm Emanuel, 10 earmarks totaling $6,523,000
- Jerry Costello, 12 earmarks totaling $5,425,175
- Dan Lipinski, 12 projects totaling $4,451,172
- Melissa Bean, 10 earmarks totaling $3,687,314 (one in McHenry County)
- Bill Foster, 12 earmarks totaling $3,095,000
- Danny Davis, 10 earmarks totaling $3,066,014
- Tim Johnson, 8 earmarks totaling $2,806,100
- Jesse Jackson, Jr., 15 earmarks totaling $2,783,500
- Peter Roskam, 12 earmarks totaling $2,655,330
- John Shimkus, 13 earmarks totaling $2,421,750
- Bobby Rush, 8 earmarks totaling $2,073,375
- Don Manzullo, 6 earmarks totaling $2,070,500 (one in McHenry County)
- Phil Hare, 7 earmarks totaling $2,031,000
- Jan Schakowsky, 8 earmarks totaling $1,644,000
- Luis Gutierrez, 2 earmarks totaling $760,000
- Jerry Weller, 7 earmarks totaling $1,243,250
$47.8 million in total.
Eschewing pork were Republicans Judy Biggert and Mark Kirk.
Three retired members, Rahm Emanuel, Ray LaHood and Jerry Weller get credit for projects anyway.
Newly elected Congress folks Debbie Halvorson and Aaron Shock were not listed.
Neither was newly-appointed United States Senator Roland Burris.
= = = = =
Pork articles that have appeared this year in McHenry County Blog follow: