Want to know how comprehensive the ethics ordinance proposed by ALAW, the Alliance for Law, Agriculture and Water is?
Read what candidates, appointed and elected officials and consultants would have to file with the McHenry County Clerk:
Disclosure of Economic Interest
(a) All elected or appointed County public officials and consultants, including members of County regulatory boards, and petitioners or applicants for said positions, shall file with the County Clerk, a verified economic disclosure statement responding in detail to the following questions:
1. Other than your principal residence, do you or any members of your immediate family own any interest in real property located within the County? If your answer is affirmative, state the following information for each such interest owned:
a. The nature of your interest in the real property and your instrument of ownership as defined in 5 ILCS 420-/1-115 (deeds, common or preferred stock certificates, rights, warrants, options, bills of sale, contracts, interests in proprietorships, partnerships and joint ventures, and beneficial interests in trusts or land trusts).
b. The location of the real property (for improved property, provide the street address; for unimproved property, state its location in relation to existing streets);
c. The property’s permanent real estate tax identification number.
2. Do you or members of your immediate family own an interest in any business entity doing business with the County? Are you or any members of your immediate family an officer or director of such business entity? If your answer to either of the foregoing questions is in the affirmative, state the following:
- the name of the business entity,
- the nature of your relationship to the business entity;
- the type of product produced or service rendered by the business entity and the extent of the interest.
3. Other than a debt to secure a mortgage upon your principal residence or business loan are you or members of your immediate family indebted to any person or business entity doing business with the County? If so list each such person or business entity to which you or members of your immediate family are indebted and the amount of each debt.
4. If you or members of your immediate family have given any gifts within the last County fiscal year of a market value in excess of one hundred dollars to any person or business entity doing business with the County, list the name of the donee of each such gift, the donee’s address, the market value of the gift, and the date on which it was made.
5. If you or members of your immediate family have received any gifts within the last County fiscal year of a market value singly or in the aggregate in excess of one hundred dollars from any person or business doing business with the County, list the name and address of the donor of each such gift, the date on which it was received and its approximate market value.
6.(a) If you or members of your immediate family have been released from any indebtedness from any person or business entity doing business with the County exceeding in its principal amount of two hundred dollars within the last year without repaying the total balance due on such indebtedness, list the name of the creditor providing the release, the nature and the amount of the indebtedness, and describe the circumstances surrounding the release.
(b) Each Public Official shall file revised disclosure statements within thirty days following any event that would require a change in any information or disclaimers contained in the statement or disclaimer on file with the County Clerk.
Chances of passage?
Results if passed?
Extraordinary step toward openness in government.