With the resignation of Huntley School District 158 Board President Shawn Green, the remaining members are seeking applicants to replace him.Applications are due by March 18th. Below is the notice that has been distributed:
Notice of Board Member Vacancy
At the Committee of the Whole March 4, 2010 meeting, the Board of Education of Consolidated School District 158 of McHenry and Kane Counties, Illinois received the resignation of Mr. Shawn Green, Board President. Mr. Green has served the District as a Board Member since April 2005.
Interested parties of becoming a board member, should submit their resume and letter of interest to: Naomi Fettes, Executive Assistant and Board Operations, Consolidated School District 158, 650 Academic Drive, Algonquin, Illinois 60102.
Deadline for submission by close of business day before 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 18, 2010 Requirements (as per Policy 2:40) in the volunteer position are listed below:
- Letter of Interest addressed to: Naomi Fettes, Executive Assistant and Board Operations
- Proof of Citizenship
- Proof of Residency as resident of CSD158 and Illinois for at least a year
- Proof of Voter’s Registration, for either McHenry or Kane Counties, Illinois
- Resume and three Letters of Reference
- Verification of at least 18 years of age
Contact the Superintendent’s office at (847) 659-6103 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
The Board will review the resumes, that will be made public, and discuss the next step at the March 18, 2010 regular Board meeting.
A Board of Education member must be, on the date of election or appointment, a United States citizen at least 18 years of age, a resident of Illinois and the District for at least one year immediately preceding the election, and a registered voter.
Reasons making an individual ineligible for Board of Education membership include holding an incompatible office and certain types of State or federal employment. A child sex offender, as defined in State law, is ineligible for School Board membership.
LEGAL REF.: Ill. Constitution, Art. 2, ¶ 1; Art 4, ¶ 2(e); Art 6, ¶ 13(b).
105 ILCS 5/10-3 and 5/10-10.
Strangely enough, the board policy, seen below, does not require letters of recommendations:
Consolidated School District 158 2:70
Page 1 of 1
Board of Education
Vacancies on Board of Education – Filling Vacancies
Elective office of a Board of Education member becomes vacant before the term’s expiration when any of the following occurs:
1. Death of the incumbent;
2. Resignation in writing filed with the Secretary of the Board of Education;
3. Legal disability of the incumbent;
4. Conviction of a felony, bribery, perjury, or other infamous crime or of any offense involving a violation of official oath or of a violent crime against a child;
5. Removal from office;
6. The decision of a competent tribunal declaring his or her election void;
7. Ceasing to meet the residential requirements contained in The School Code;
8. An illegal conflict of interest; or
9. Acceptance of a second public office that is incompatible with Board of Education membership.
Whenever a vacancy occurs, the remaining members shall notify the Regional Superintendent of Schools of that vacancy within 5 days after its occurrence and shall fill the vacancy until the next regular Board of Education election, at which election a successor shall be elected to serve the remainder of the unexpired term. However, if the vacancy occurs with less than 868 days remaining in the term, the person so appointed shall serve the remainder of the unexpired term, and no election to fill the vacancy shall be held. Members appointed by the remaining members of the Board to fill vacancies shall meet any residential requirements as specified in The School Code. The Board shall fill the vacancy within 45 days after it occurred by a public vote at a meeting of the Board.
Immediately following a vacancy on the Board of Education, the Board will publicize it and accept résumés from District residents who are interested in filling the vacancy. After reviewing the applications, the Board may invite the prospective candidates for personal interviews (emphasis added).
LEGAL REF.: 105 ILCS 5/10-10 and 5/10-11.
CROSS REF.: 2:40 (Board Member Qualifications), 2:60 (Board Member Removal From Office)
ADOPTED: May 17, 2001