On Thursday, September 16, 2010, Crystal Lake Police and Illinois State Police Zone 1 conducted Alcohol Compliance Enforcement (ACE) checks on establishments that are licensed to sell alcoholic beverages within the City limits. During these A.C.E. details, undercover officers and cooperating underage minors visited 20 restaurants who serve alcoholic beverages, in an effort to determine if the licensees were in compliance.
Only two of the businesses conducted sales of alcoholic beverages to the minors during the operation. The businesses found in violation were
- Chili’s Grill & Bar located at 5620 Northwest Highway and
- Williams Street Tap located at 80 N. Williams Street.
The businesses found to be in compliance were
- Applebee’s (5690 Northwest Highway),
- Buffalo Wild Wings (5755 Northwest Highway),
- Chuck E. Cheese (5725 Northwest Highway),
- Outback Steakhouse (4751 Northwest Highway),
- Hooters (4812 Northwest Highway),
- Nick’s Pizza and Pub (856 Pyott Road),
- Coleman’s (7608 S. Virginia Road), Porter’s (446 Virginia Street),
- Rock’s 394 Virginia Street, Georgio’s Pizza (75 Woodstock Street),
- Finn McCool’s (72 N. Williams Street),
- Williams Street Public House (83 Williams Street),
- Brink Street Restaurant & Bar (85 Brink Street),
- Metro Bowl (77 Brink Street), The Cottage (6 E. Crystal Lake Avenue),
- Matt’s Tavern (92 Railroad Street),
- Duke’s (110 N. Main Street) and
- Labemi’s Tavern (109 N. Main Street).
With accidents as the leading cause of death among adolescent Americans, coupled with alcohol as the leading causative factor, the Crystal Lake Police Department strives to develop a partnership with local merchants to help them achieve the goal of zero sales to minors.
These Alcohol Compliance Enforcement checks are done randomly several times throughout the year with the assistance of the Illinois State Police. This detail is funded by a grant through the Illinois Department of Transportation.