The Northwest Herald’s Kevin Craver is again pointing to the incongruity of our tax dollars being used to lobby against our self-interests as citizens and taxpayers.
McHenry County government and other tax districts from townships to school districts belong to associations that lobby in Springfield.
McHenry County Blog found these groups lobbying against Jack Franks’ bill to limit this year’s taxes to last years (because the assessed value had decreased):
Craver zeros in on House Bill 3137, sponsored by double-dipping Republican State Rep. Roger Eddy.
Eddy has received $60,000 from the Illinois Education Association’s Political Action Committee.
Here’s what he wants to keep secret:
- the date of birth of public employees,
- medical and health information of public employees,
- the names of applicants for public employment, a
- applications for public employment,
- recommendations and opinions regarding the qualification of public employment applicants,
- investigative notes of public employees, and
- outlines or drafts of oral statements, presentations, or remarks
So, FOIA filers wouldn’t be able to get applications of those who apply for the empty Regional Superintendent of Schools slot…nor their names.
Back to the good ‘ol days for the good ol’ boys.
Craver points out that your tax dollars are going to the Metro Counties Council (on which my father used to serve when he was on the County Board) to lobby in favor of this bill.