The upside is obvious.
- Democrat Jack Franks has to pay more attention to getting re-elected.
- That means Jack Franks will have less time to go elsewhere in Illinois to elect other Democrats who will vote to make Mike Madigan House Speaker. (Franks has voted for Madigan seven times. That’s really helped McHenry County.)
- That means Jack Franks can’t go door-to-door campaigning against vulnerable McHenry County Board candidates like Ken Koehler (Tryon’s Campaign Treasurer and County Board Chairman) and Bob Bless.
- Tea Party adherents may come into or stay in McHenry County to help energize and get out the Republican vote.
- The McHenry County Republican Party would be playing the game of addition, rather than subtraction.
The idea is to build agreement going into a general election, not encourage disagreement.
Perhaps those running the party have not noticed, but the energy is not coming from those making money out of the political game.
Those folks do what they think is expected of them, which seems to be not too much.
The rejuvenation of the the GOP, if it is to have one, is coming from those inspired by the TEA Party movement.
Now, I know the Taxed Enough Already folks don’t appeal to local officials who every year have decided to tax the maximum amount allowed by the Real Estate Tax Cap
But that’s where the energy in politics is coming from today.
Mike Tryon knows how much trouble he had getting enough signatures to get on the ballot.
So, what’s the downside?
- Tonya Franklin may lose.
- She may lose big.
She will be flying the Republican banner in place of the Establishment’s white flag.
She may take embarrassing anonymous hits from Jack Franks’ allies who are too chicken to put their names on the mailings.
That’s pretty much it.
= = = = =
An open meeting of the Republican Central Committee will be held at d’Andrea’s at the southeast corner of the intersection of Routes 14 and 31 this Saturday at 9 AM. Prospective GOP opponent to Jack Franks Tonya Franklin will be there at 8, if you want to meet her one-on-one.