This email from Paul Caprio might explain the delay in a vote on the gay marriage proposal in Illinois:
Pro-Family Forces Stall Same-Sex Marriage Bill in Springfield
Friday, January 4, 2013
Despite promises last week by Senate and House sponsors of the same-sex marriage bill that passage was imminent, Senate backers, President Obama, Governor Quinn, Rahm “Chicago Values” Emanuel and disgraced GOP Chairman Pat Brady were unable to pass the bill on Thursday in the Illinois Senate.
What a surprise to all those who confidently predicted passage!
WE know what really happened. As a result of the grassroots activities of the many pro-family organizations in the Coalition to Protect Children and Marriage, people of Faith became energized across the state to say “No to Same-sex Marriage” to their lawmakers.
Here are just a few of the things that occurred in the past week:
- Pastors Erwin Lutzer and Wilfredo De Jesus and Reverends Bob Vanden Bosch and James Ford, Jr. sent a letter to more than 800 pastors warning the church community. It was sponsored by the Illinois Family Institute.
- Family-Pac sponsored 170,000 robo-calls to targeted legislators with messages from Sandy Rios and Rev. James Ford, Jr.
- Pro-family lobbyists Ralph Rivera, David Smith (IFI), Rev. Bob Vanden Bosch, Sharee Langenstein and others did a wonderful job in their face-to-face meetings in Springfield.
- Cardinal George sent out a strong message opposing the bill to the Catholic Churches and the Illinois Catholic Conference worked day and night to stop the bill.
- A Coalition of Priests and Ministers representing all major faiths opposing the bill was assembled.
- These are just a few of the highlights…all Coalition groups played an important role.
- Our Lord has blessed us.
BUT THE FIGHT IS JUST BEGINNING!
We are told the bill will not be called on Monday or Tuesday in the House…the final days of the lame-duck session.
The bill will be reintroduced immediately in the new Session and the battle will become even more intense. Stay tuned because we have a lot more work to do to defeat this bill…
May God continue to bless us all in this effort.