An email from the McHenry County Environmental Defenders:
Member Action Alert
Please call your legislators about fracking in Illinois today!
The Environmental Defenders and the Illinois Environmental Council, of which we are a part, oppose fracking in Illinois. Fracking poses grave dangers to our communities, land, air, and water; and contributes to the continued destabilization of our climate.
The safest and smartest way to protect ourselves would be to immediately enact a moratorium to allow for thorough study of the risks of fracking and to learn from the experiences in other states and major health studies currently underway.
Sadly, fracking is legal in our state today, and evidence suggests that in fact it is already occurring, putting our citizens and environment at grave risk.
With dangerous fracking likely already underway in Illinois, it is urgent that the act General Assembly before adjourning the Spring session.
So please call your legislators at their Springfield offices (numbers listed below) to make the following points:
- Even though the two bills that would have placed a 2 year moratorium on fracking are dead, we still ask that they institute such a moratorium.
- If a moratorium is simply not possible, we ask that they support SB1715, which contains strong regulations for controlling fracking.
- Point out how imperative it is that they act before they leave Springfield for the summer. Otherwise fracking companies may simply move in and begin fracking in our state under our current pre-World War II era oil and gas regulations.
Legislators for McHenry County:
- Representative Mike Tryon: (217) 782-0432
- Representative Jack Franks: (217) 782 -1717
- Representative Barb Wheeler: (217) 782 – 1664
- Senator Pam Althoff: (217) 782 – 8000
- Sen. Karen McConnaughay (217)-782-1977
(if you do not live in McHenry County, please go to www.ilga.gov to find your legislators)
Please call today!
Thank you for helping to protect our communities and environment in Illinois.
= = = = =
I note that the Defenders have left out three legislators who represent parts of McHenry County:
- Senator Dan Duffy
- Representative Dave McSweeney
- Representative Tim Schmitz
It is also my understanding that McHenry County’s well water supply is not threatened by fracking. I have heard of no gas or oil reserves under our ground.