A press release from District 3 County Board candidate Sarah Jansen:
Sarah Jansen Announces Candidacy for District 3 McHenry County Board
CRYSTAL LAKE–Former McHenry County assistant state’s attorney from Crystal Lake formally announces her candidacy for McHenry County Board today.
“I am running because I have always had a passion for public service and with my background and experience, I know I can serve the citizens of District 3 well,” said Jansen, a Crystal Lake attorney.
A McHenry County resident for over 20 years, Jansen grew up in Spring Grove and graduated from Richmond-Burton High School.
She attended Illinois Wesleyan University and graduated with honors from the University of Notre Dame Law School.
Thereafter, Jansen practiced commercial litigation in large law firms in both Milwaukee and Chicago.
She has also served as a law clerk to appellate court judges at the state and federal levels.
After returning to McHenry County in 2007, Jansen served as an assistant state’s attorney in the Civil Division of the McHenry County State’s Attorney’s Office for four years.
“As an assistant state’s attorney, I provided legal counsel to the County Board and its committees.
Among other things, I
- drafted County ordinances
- interpreted state and federal laws pertaining to the County
- defended County officials and employees in civil rights and employment litigation
- provided legal advice on the Freedom of Information Act and the Open Meetings Act
- represented the County in state and federal appeals
I worked closely with several of the Board’s current members, as well as County department heads and employees; in doing so, I gained extensive knowledge on how the County is run, what programs and policies are working, and which ones can be improved upon,” Jansen said.
Jansen also worked in private practice at Campion, Curran, Lamb & Cunabaugh, P.C. in Crystal Lake.
- served as the legislative liaison for the McHenry County Bar Association Board of Governors
- volunteered as a coach for Crystal Lake Girls Softball League
- coaches for Upward Basketball at Immanuel Lutheran Church
- volunteers for McHenry County Spotlight Youth Theater
“On a personal level, my husband and I are raising three children in Crystal Lake and we have a vested interest in the County’s future.
“I want to ensure McHenry County remains a wonderful place to live, work and raise a family.
“Given recent events in Washington, it is clear we need good leaders who can work together in all levels of government.
“I know I am the right person for the job.”
Jansen is hosting a gathering of supporters at her residence in Crystal Lake this Sunday, October 6 from 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. for a campaign kickoff event.