A press release from McHenry County Board member John Hammerand:
McHenry County directs lobbyists to expand authority to tax, and asks for additional authority in all areas
At the McHenry County Board meeting on January 21st the County passed the 2014 State Legislative Program. The first two of six directives to the Lobbyists are:
- Support Legislation granting additional permissive authorities for Counties.
- Support legislation allowing Counties to expand non-property tax revenue resources.
When the matter came up for discussion, John Hammerand, Republican (District 4) read these policies to the County Board Members, saying,
- “We want the power to tax other things beyond property;
- we don’t want anyone to touch the power we have; and
- we want more” and
- that he could not support this Legislative Program as placed before them.”
The Program was approved by Michele Aavang, Yvonne Barnes, Sue Draffkorn, Joseph Gottemoller, James Heisler, John Jung, Ken Koehler, Robert Martens, Mary McCann, Anna May Miller, Robert Nowak, Sandra Fay Salgado, Carolyn Schofield, Ersel Schuster, and Michael Skala.
The six dissenting votes came from
- Nick Chirikos
- Diane Evertsen
- John Hammerand
- Donna Kurtz
- Mary McClelland
- Paula Yensen
Tina Hill, Nick Provenzano and Michael Walkup were absent.
In the past, John has not supported the $100,000 for the paid Lobbyist.
Audio with John’s comments – Time 1:30:39