By an almost 2-1 margin, a coalition dominated by Republican Precinct Committee elected for the first time this spring took control of the Algonquin Township Republican Central Committee Monday night.
Meeting at the Algonquin Township garage complex room next to the Sheriff’s Department’s Annex. 33 of the 44 elected Precinct Committeemen elected Demetri Tsilimigras Chairman by acclamation.
The defining votes was for Vice Chairman where current office holder Tom McDermott of Crystal Lake (Algonquin 25) faced off against newcomer Chris Yeager, who was elected Precinct Committeeman in Downtown Algonquin’s Precinct 1.
Yaeger won by a vote of 2,786 to 1,457. (Each Committeeman was allowed to cast the number of votes cast by Republicans in his or her precinct.)
Subsequently, Crystal Lake newcomer Tom Venezio (Algonquin 2) was elected Secretary without opposition.
Also without opposition, Crystal Laker Larry Emery (Algonquin 66 and Township Trustee) was elected Treasurer.
After thanking McDermott for his service, Tsilimigras explained that he intended to look forward not behind.
“We didn’t do a great job in the past.
“We need to work together and get the job done, get people involved.
“Our party seems to be divided. A lot of people don’t like each other.
“I know I can’t please everybody and I’m not going to try [but] we need to start listening to people…to gather good ideas.”
The new Chairman listed the following goals:
- Getting new people involved
- Raising enough money so mailings can be affored
- Quarterly meetings of the Central Committee
- At least four meetings of the Executive Committee
- Training for new Precinct Committeemen
- By-laws, fund raising and community outreach subcommittees
- Establishing better communications with other township GOP organizations
Tsilimigras listed three expectations of Committeemen:
- Attendance at quarterly meetings
- Walking, calling and mailing one’s precinct
- Lending support to other townships’ GOP efforts
“We all have some comment grounds,” he concluded.
“Let’s focus on those.”
For those who would like to see who voted for Yaeger and who for McDermott, look in the right hand column below: