When I was McHenry County Treasurer in the late 1960’s, a young attorney who started practicing in 1964 named Herb Franks asked me to explain the tax sale process. I did and he became an active participant learning how to perfect deeds.
I remember his having paid numerous overdue tax bills from Wonder Lake lots. Later I wondered if that was the start of the Marengo man’s interest in the community, which led to his Wonder Lake State Bank.
Friday night, Donley’s in Union was the site of a celebration of his success in the legal field.
There were numerous dignitaries present to honor Herbert Hoover Franks.
There were two Supreme Court Justices:
- Anne Burke
- Thomas Kilbride
Three lower judges came:
- McHenry County Circuit Court Judge Michael Caldwell
- Appellate Judge Richard Goldenhersh from the Judicial District that includes East St. Louis
- Appellate Judge Mary Schostock of our own District
There were two statewide office holders:
- Attorney General Lisa Madigan
- Lt. Governor Sheila Simon (a last minute attendee apparently, because her name is not on the program)
There were two former Presidents of the Illinois State Bar Association:
- Tom Eaton
- Paula Holderman
Finally, a special guest, radio and TV personality Mancow Muller attended.
There were others, of course, but their names weren’t on the program I was given.
Finally, take a look at how Franks’ categorization of various priced tickets:
- $75 – Blagojecvich
- $125 – Ryan
- $250 – Walker
- $500 – Kerner