With the cost of Pace Dial-a-Ride transportation about $15 a ride, the McHenry County Transportation Committee is going to discuss providing vouchers to people.
McDOT staff will be ready to discuss the possibilities at the Committee’s meeting at the 8:15 AM meeting at 16111 Nelson Road, Woodstock (across from the Valley Hi Nursing Home).
The following memo is on the agenda:
When someone uses the term “taxi voucher program” many different uses are plausible. In order to structure the discussion, it would be beneficial to get a consensus as to what is the purpose of taxi vouchers. The following questions are offered for discussion and provide direction to staff. Is it…
- To provide transportation services in the existing MCRide service area outside the standard current operating hours of MCRide (6 AM to 7 PM Monday-Friday and 9 AM to 5 PM on Saturdays)?
- To supplement transportation services in the existing MCRide service area during the standard current operating hours of MCRide (6 AM to 7 PM Monday-Friday and 9 AM to 5 PM on Saturdays) to users who find the MCRide program is too restrictive for their needs?
- To reduce the need for Pace buses to serve the existing needs of the current MCRide program?
- To offer a way to expand the MCRide program beyond the boundaries of the current partner units of government?
- To offer an opportunity for residents to travel to points outside of McHenry County not currently served by MCRide?
Staff can describe the types of existing taxi voucher programs in other communities and provide some background on the capabilities of the County’s current taxi providers to help Committee members give staff a direction of where their research efforts need to be focused.