The aborted attempt to segregate three Pro-Life booths, one three booth spaces wide, in what was originally labeled a “Faith Tent” had not received any mainstream media until Friday night at 6:45.
That’s when the Chicago Tribune ran an article by Lisa Black headlined in the electronic edition thusly:
Anti-abortion groups claim county fair tried to sideline them
County fair allows anti-abortion booths to set up at previous locations after complaints about being moved
The article does refer to the three Pro-Life groups as “faith-based groups” and the description “pro-life” even makes the second paragraph, but only in a quote from the six-page letter sent by the Thomas More Law Center on behalf of
- Peter’s Net
- McHenry Deanery Respect Life
- 1st Way Pregnancy Support services (sic, the old name; now its 1st Way Life Center).
According to the Tribune, Rich Tobiasz, Fair Association Vice President said,
“There was some thought about how we can group together like-minded people.
“Apparently, that made some people unhappy. I don’t think that there was ever any kind of intent (of discrimination).”
For the first time in my memory, the Tribune allowed the description of Pro-Choice folks as “pro-abortion.”
And no one was being quoted.
The internet article did not appear in the Saturday edition of the Tribune.
Perhaps it will be in Sunday’s, which has much higher circulation.
(Nothing in the Saturday edition of the Sunday Tribune either.)
Nothing yet in McHenry County’s newspaper of record, the Northwest Herald.
If you would like to read the six articles published by McHenry County Blog (in the order in which they were posted), the links are below:
- 5-7-15 McHenry County Fair Sets Up Faith Ghetto
- 5-19-15 Thomas More Society Complains to County Fair about 2015 Pro-Life Booth “Segregation”
- 5-21-15 Press Release on County Fair Discrimination Against Pro-Life Groups
- 5-22-15 The County Fair Association Decision-Makers
- 5-22-15 More on the County Fair Isolation of Pro-Life Booths
- 5-22-15 County Fair Association Capitulates to Pro-Lifers