I haven’t noted this year that the post office continues to play the role of precinct worker.
Think of how much dedicated manpower that candidates would have to have if all the post cards and other literature you receive in the mail had to be delivered by a volunteer or a paid precinct walker.
This Saturday, I received an “Authorized Republican Official Sample Ballot.”
That’s what the heading says.
All the candidates are not on the sample ballot, however.
Just the endorsed ones, whose names follow:
- States Attorney – Patrick Kenneally
- Circuit Court Judge – Demetri Tsilimigras
- County Board Chairman – Michael J. Walkup
- County Recorder – Joe Tirio
- District 1 (County Board) – Yvonne M. Barnes and Tom Wilbeck
- District 2 – Jeffery T. Thorsen
- District 3 – Michael J. Walkup and Nick Provenzano
- District 4 – Kay Bates and Craig Wilcox
- District 5 – Andrew “Andy” Snarski
Underneath people are advised to “Remove and take to the polls for reference.”
And, who is the mailing from?
McHenry County Republicans for Better Government, which has filed campaign disclosure reports with the Illinois State Board of Elections.
Names signing a not on the address side are
Phillip Peterson, Karen Tirio, Eileen Marhoefer, Henry Goetz, Jennifer Weinhammer, Jim Magel, Michele Schermer, Bob Zalud, John Brytke, Frank Haslwanter, Lou Anne Majewski, Chris Covelli, Donna Kurtz “and many, many more…”
The back side has photos of the candidates the group is endorsing.
On the top is the headline, “McHenry County Republicans.”
Just below one can read, “Join over 100 Precinct Committeeman, Candidates and Elected Officials in supporting Republicans with the Courage and Integrity to Reduce Our Taxes!!” [Emphasis in the original.]
The only officer of the committee is Michael J McCleary, who works as an investigator for McHenry County State’s Attorney Lou Bianchi.
The committee stated out the year with less than $200.
Large contributions were made since then follow:
- $2,000 – Thomas Cooper, Retired, Wonder Lake
- $1,000 – Ronald Salgado, Chief Investigator, McHenry County State’s Attorney’s Office, McHenry
- $1,000 – Citizens to Elect Lou Bianchi
- $1,000 – Citizens for Patrick Kenneally