The following is reprinted from the Illinois Family Institute email.
Congressman Peter Roskam’s State Central Committeeman Brian Colgan and the man he appointed to the Platform Committee to represent the Algonquin Township part of Roskam’s 6th congressional district plan to vote to take out the “marriage” plank of the platform.
Congressman Randy Hultgren’s 14th District representative on the Platform Committee, Burt Minor, has not taken a stand, according to IFI.
Emails for all of the members of the Platform Committee are below the email.
Written by David E. Smith
Some Illinois Republicans want to stay away from “controversial” issues.
They think that removing the traditional marriage plank will somehow help liberal Republicans who are “hurt” by the platform in their swing districts.
First, if they think that they are going to avoid controversy by removing this important plank, they are woefully wrong.
Secondly, the Illinois GOP has its fair share of RINOs elected to office, who are the source of the problem at hand; but clearly demonstrating that liberal Republicans can win with the current state platform.
There is no upside for the Illinois Republican Party to water down the social issues in the platform.
On the contrary, it will only result in a massive fight at the convention and disunity among Republicans.
Social conservatives do the lions share of grass roots work in Illinois and watering down the platform will make them less inclined to work hard for candidates running for office.
It may even cause some conservatives to abandon some Republican Party candidates in protest.
And it will definitely compel more voters to stay home during elections — hurting Republicans at every level on the ballot.
The best option is to leave the platform as it is written and as it was approved just four short years ago.
IllinoisReview.com is reporting that the Platform Committee plans to remove these two important sections:
The final meeting of the Platform Committee of the Illinois Republican State Convention will be held at 10 AM on Friday, May 20 in Room 135.
If you are a Delegate, Alternate Delegate, or attending as a guest — please attend this meeting and ask to speak during the public comment period.
Voice your opinion about changing the Illinois Republican Platform.
In the wake of the federal takeover of bathrooms and locker rooms, we can ill afford to capitulate Judeo-Christian principles, especially when we know that the institution of marriage was created by God for mankind’s welfare.
No other institution promotes the common good in our society as does marriage— defined as one man, one women raising healthy, productive members of society. On the contrary, the breakdown of marriage and family leads to a wealth of societal ills, the growth of big government and the nanny state.
The latest report we’ve received has the vote at 9-7 with 5 committee members’ positions unknown. Please contact the members of the Platform Committee below and urge them to stand firm for marriage:
- Chair Mike Bigger — remove plank
(309) 238-0113 and [email protected]
- Co-Chair Blair Garber — unknown
(312) 961-1791 and [email protected]
- Co-Chair Brian Colgan — remove plank
(630) 202-5832 and [email protected]
- Dist 1. Kathy Hilton — remove plank
(815) 919-2772 and [email protected]
- Dist 2. Kurt Diekelman — remove plank
(708) 877-5500 and [email protected]
- Dist 3. Brent Woods — unknown
(708) 717-0955 and [email protected]
- Dist 4. Angel Garcia — remove plank
(312) 375-0979 and [email protected]
- Dist 5. Cindy Burke — remove plank
(630) 673-3219 and [email protected]
- Dist 6. Pat Brady — remove plank
(312) 972-7348 and [email protected]
- Dist 7. Linda Tobensky — unknown
(708) 351-7790 and [email protected]
- Dist 8. Ryan Higgins — remove plank
(312) 590-6186 and [email protected]
- Dist 9. Dave Carabotta — keep plank
(312) 217-4255 and [email protected]
- Dist 10. Marjorie Kubalanza — keep plank
(847) 687-4763 and [email protected]
- Dist 11. Raquel Mitchell — keep plank
(630) 936-9578 and [email protected]
- Dist 12. Patti Howard — keep plank
(618) 889-6943 and [email protected]
- Dist 13. Terri Koyne — keep plank
(217) 851-4789 and macoupincorepubli
- Dist 14. Burt Minor — unknown
(630) 674-9096 and [email protected]
- Dist 15. J.C. Kowa — keep plank
(618) 838-1516 and [email protected]
- Dist 16. Jan Klaas — keep plank
(815) 621-9497 and [email protected]
- Dist 17. Elisha French — remove plank
(309) 351-8163 and [email protected]
- Dist 18. Connie Nord — unknown
(309) 275-0811 and [email protected]
In addition to asking the committee members to stand firm for marriage, Laurie Higgins has some great suggestions for the Illinois GOP Platform Committee:
- Include a plank defending an expansive view of religious liberty, a plank that echoes the language, meaning, and intent of the First Amendment.
- Add a plank that espouses the view that objective, immutable sex supersedes subjective feelings about sex in all sex-segregated areas in which private, personal activities take place, including but not limited to restrooms, dressing rooms, locker rooms, showers, shelters, and hospital rooms.
- Oppose any changes that weaken the Republican platform on its unequivocal opposition to abortion, including opposition to abortion in the case of rape, incest, or the “health” of the mother. The product of conception between two humans is a human with a right to continued existence.
- Oppose any platform changes that would espouse the view that “sexual orientation,” “gender identity,” or “gender expression” should be protected categories in anti-discrimination laws or policies.
- Oppose any platform changes that would espouse support for the view that sex-segregated facilities in which personal and private actions take place should be open to persons of the opposite sex.
- Oppose any platform changes that would espouse the view that the term “sex” is inclusive of “gender identity” or “gender expression.”