A pre-Tea Party conservative group in McHenry County has gone out of business.
My articles go back to 2009 (and there were undoubtedly ones before that that Google wiped out when it labeled McHenry County Blog a “spam blog”).
In any event, here are some of the highlights:
1) Being a major organizer of the April 15, 2010, Tea Party demonstration on Crystal Lake’s Route 14
2) in 2010 sponsoring the best candidates’ night I have ever attended
2) taking part in Crystal Lake’s 2010 Independence Day Parade
3) allowing Jack Franks and Mike Tryon to face off in 2012 on the issue of an elected County Executive
4) getting Catholic and Protestant Pro-Lifers more than talking to each other, Patriots United has gone the way of most political organizations.
6) organized a March, 2009, rally against the pro-abortion 2009 Freedom of Choice Act bill at State Rep. Jack Franks’ office when he was sponsoring the bill
7) sponsoring a vibrant debate at McHenry County College for 8th Congressional District GOP candidates (I’m told Joe Walsh dominated the event.)
8) holding a forum on gambling and coordinating with the Illinois Family Institute to hold off slot machines in unincorporated taverns for a couple of years
9) organizing a demonstration against the civil union bill that Jack Franks ended up voting for
The following letter explains why the organization is disbanding:
Life is full of passages. As in all steps from one platform to the next, there is sorrow and gladness involved. As children step out of childhood into the land of adults, we have mixed emotions of missing what was before but rejoicing over what comes next. Such it is with Patriots United.
In 2013, Patriots United’s president stepped down in order to serve in other ways and spend more time raising family. In 2015, our next president stepped down in the late summer to make a career change. An interim president was appointed in fall of 2015, and by the end of that same year, the call for a change in direction was heard and discussed.
A new platform and focus had been in development for two years and the time was ripe to formulate a roll-out of ‘Our Great Eight.’
Since Turning Point USA was very interested in collaborating in getting these materials onto college campuses across the country, it was prayerfully considered and a decision was made to form a collaboration to launch ‘Our Great Eight’ on a national level.
In March of 2016, the board of Patriots United held a motion to disband as an organization for the following two reasons:
- All the board members were occupied in other venues that were taking up a majority of their time, with no replacements available.
- Several members of the board were directed to give their energy and time commitments towards ‘Our Great Eight’ believing this would have a more direct impact on citizens, especially the youth of our country.
A vote was taken, which resulted in a unanimous vote to disband Patriots United, giving full attention to ‘Our Great Eight’ a newly formed constituency.
It is with sadness and gladness that we turn our attention from what has been to what will be!
As is true with conservative thought, it is imperative to look back and find encouragement in the great truths we stand on, and find inspiration to spring forward to the things yet to be done.
We take off our hats to ‘Patriots United’ and bow our heads in gratitude and appreciation for all who have led us from the beginning, to the faithfulness of our constituents, and to our sister and brother organizations we have had the privilege of standing beside.
Blessings to all as we move forward, carrying the torch of freedom through ‘Our Great Eight’ and those who stand for liberty in the United States of America.
God bless and please join us!
Maida Korte, Jackie Larson, Bill Parrot and John Wuich