A apress release from the Environmental Defenders of McHenry County:
DEFENDERS’ RECYCLING DRIVE – Marengo, August 13th
Recycling Drive accepts TVs, fluorescent tubes, electronics, more!
MARENGO – On Saturday, August 13th, the Environmental Defenders of McHenry County (EDMC) will conduct a recycling collection from 9am until noon at Marengo City Hall, 132 East Prairie St, Marengo, IL.
They continue to collect certain items which are not usually accepted by curbside programs, and which would be harmful to the environment if put in a landfill.
The group will NOT be accepting Styrofoam at their drives because there currently is nowhere for them to recycle it. EDMC is continuing to look for alternatives.
Because of the costs to get these items properly disposed of, a monetary donation will be requested, with specific fees for fluorescent bulbs, batteries, monitors or televisions.
- Fluorescent tubes (50¢ to $1 each)
- Batteries (household, rechargeable, car, and button) (50¢ per pound of household batteries.)
- Cloth items—clothing, linens, or just plain rags, clean and in a bag. You can also bring shoes, tied together by their laces and placed in the bag.
- Re- useable bubble wrap
- Electronics – televisions, computers, phones, printers, electronic toys, microwaves, etc. (most anything that plugs in or runs on batteries) A donation is requested to recycle TVs and computer monitors (50¢ per pound up to maximum of $40 per set)
- VHS & cassette tapes, CDs, DVDs, etc.
- Aluminum cans
Donations and fees offset the costs of transportation and proper recycling. EDMC is a local non-profit, and receives no government funding to offer this service to the community.
Environmental Defenders’ recycling drives are held on the second Saturday of each month, at various locations in the county. For information about the recycling schedule and types of materials accepted, visit the group's website at mcdef.org/recycling or find it on Facebook at facebook.com/EnvironmentalDefenders.
An alternate site for electronics (including televisions & monitors) & batteries is Chicago Logistic in Elgin 847-
The Environmental Defenders of McHenry County is a 501(c)(3) not-for- profit organization dedicated to the preservation and improvement of the environment. The group provides the community with educational programs and volunteer action on pollution prevention, sustainable land use and energy and natural resource conservation. Donations are encouraged and are tax-deductible as charitable contributions. For more information, visit www.mcdef.org or call 815-338- 0393, Monday-Friday, 11am-4pm.