Exhaust Fan Fire Near Main Fire House

A press release from the Crystal Lake Fire Department:

Structure Fire – 210 Elmhurst, Crystal Lake, IL

Elmhurst Street in Crystal Lake.

Elmhurst Street in Crystal Lake.

On October 29, 2016 at approximately 8:11 AM, the Crystal Lake Fire Rescue Department responded to the report of a structure fire on the third floor with smoke reported in the building as well as an activated fire alarm.

First arriving Crystal Lake units reported a partial evacuation of the building and a light haze of smoke within all three floors of the building.

Further investigation found a small fire in a bathroom exhaust fan in a first floor apartment that appeared to be extinguished by the occupant. Fire crews checked the entire building with thermal imaging cameras showing heat in the walls on the second and third floors above the fire apartment.

Inspection of the walls showed no fire extension beyond the area of origin of the bathroom exhaust fan.

Damage was estimated at $5,000.

There were no injuries reported and none of the occupants were displaced.

Assistance was provided by the Algonquin Lake in the Hills and McHenry Township Fire Protection Districts. Crews from NiCor and ComEd, as well as the City of Crystal Lake Building Division also responded.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *