Former McHenry County Board member Kathy Bergan Schmidt was drafted to fill a slot on the fall ballot when Democratic Party County Board candidate Ken Smith died this fall.
In November, 2008, Schmidt ran second in a three-way County Board race against Mary Donner and Nick Provenzano. Provenzano was the odd man out, so to speak. Not until the last weekend did he and Donner run a joint campaign. It consisted only of joint signs at polling places.
The results were as follows:
- Mary Donner – 10,728 votes
- Kathy Bergan Schmidt – 9,530 votes
- Nick Provenzano – 9,236 votes
Below are the results in terms of percentages:
- 36.37% – Donner
- 32.31% – Schmidt
- 31.31% – Provenzano
Since she served on the McHenry County Board for four years before losing a re-election bid in 2012, I decided to look at property tax levy votes in the Board minutes.
You can see how Schmidt voted on real estate taxes in the McHenry County Board minute excerpts below:
- Property tax levy for Dec. 2008-09 = $73,924,869.76 (year before those elected in 2008 took office)
- Property tax levy for Dec. 2009-10 = $75,326,326.42
- Property tax levy for Dec. 2010-11 = $77,808,547.59
- Property tax levy for Dec. 2011-12 = $78,810,315.46
- Property tax levy for Dec. 2012-13 = $78,535,191.18