The General Election advisory referendum last fall lost and an effort for a re-do by the Crystal Lake Public Library at the much lower turnout April election was withdrawn before a vote by the City Council.
That, however, has not kept the Library Board from buying another property.
Just last week, on January 19th, the Library bought the property at 11 S. McHenry Avenue for $285,000. (361,200 is in City Budget for “land purchase” this year. See page 203.)
In all the Board has purchased six properties since 2003,
- Three on McHenry Avenue
- Two on W. Crystal Lake Avenue
- One on Paddock Street
The total cost to taxpayers was almost $2 million.
Here are the details:
- 17 McHenry Ave. $231,995 June 17, 2003
- 81 W. Crystal Lake Ave. 172,366 July 18, 2014
- 91 W. Crystal Lake Ave. 600,000 July 18, 2014 (4 flat)
- 1 S. McHenry Ave. 307,730 Sept 19, 2014
- 94 Paddock 328,868 Feb 27, 2015
- 11 S. McHenry 285,000 Jan 19, 2017
That’s in addition to o paying over $700,000 to the architectural firm