It is ironic that the last boycott McHenry County Blog covered was one of State Senators in Wisconsin in 2011.
All Democrats, the Senators decided to deny Republicans a quorum by not attending session, just as Republicans did in McHenry County Wednesday night.
The Senators came across the Illinois state line, first decamping in Rockford and, when discovered, moving to Harvard.
The Northwest Herald article on the non-meeting and gathering afterward had the following paragraph, information which I did not include in my long article on the meeting:
“As Franks left the room, an audience member repeatedly asked him whether he had met with the absent board members and asked them not to attend Wednesday night.”
Franks provided no answer as to whether he urged the one Democrat and thirteen Republicans to boycott the meeting.
Some have said that he had a picnic at his Marengo home Sunday afternoon to urge people not to attend the meeting..
There are at least two differences between the Democrats’ boycott and Tuesday night’s by Republicans:
- The Wisconsin Senate President could send the State Police after the missing Senators and, of course, there is no authority for McHenry County’s Sheriff to track down and bring missing County Board members to a meeting, even if the Board Chairman were inclined to do so.
- The Wisconsin boycotters were Democrats set on thwarting Republican Governor Scott Walker’s agenda, while the McHenry County boycotters were set on supporting Democratic Party Jack Franks’ patronage employees and actions without County Board knowledge or permission.
The names of the fourteen County Board members boycotting the meeting (or in the case of a reported conflict, Donna Kurtz) follow:
- Michele Aavang, h: 815-648-4210, [email protected]
- Kay Bates, h: 815-276-5073, w: 815-385-4300, [email protected]
- Chris Christensen, h: 815-459-7206, [email protected]
- Joe Gottemoller, h: 815-382-9940, w: 815-459-5152, [email protected]
- John Jung, h: 815-338-6201, [email protected]
- Jim Kearns, w: 847-875-4852, [email protected]
- Don Kopsell. h: 815-459-7206, [email protected]
- Mary McCann, h: 815-568-1061, [email protected]
- Bob Nowak, h: 847-977-5516, [email protected]
- Mike Skala, h: 847-669-3804, w: 815-337-5550, [email protected]
- Larry Smith, h: 815-353-8043, lws[email protected]
- Chris Spoerl, h: 847-516-6495, w: 847-382-3206, [email protected]
- Paula Yensen, c: 815-404-3918, [email protected]
All are Republican, but Yensen.