Fire in Algonquin

A press release from the Algonquin-Lake in the Hills Fire Protection District:

Structure Fire

105 Filip Road, Algonquin

Early Tuesday afternoon, on January 2, 2018, at 12:07 PM, the Algonquin-Lake in the Hills Fire Protection District was dispatched for a structure fire at 105 Filip Road, the Algonquin Sub Shop, in Algonquin.

Firefighters arrived at 12:10 PM and found a fire on the exterior of the building that had progressed inside.

Crews initiated an aggressive attack and quickly extinguished the flames.

No civilian or firefighter injuries were reported. The cause of the fire was a propane heating device used to thaw water pipes.

The fire was declared out at 12:27 PM.

The Algonquin-Lake in the Hills Fire Protection District was aided by Crystal Lake Fire Department, Carpentersville Fire Protection District, and Fox River Grove Fire Protection District, and Huntley Fire Protection District.

The cause of the fire is currently being investigated A damage estimate is not yet available.


Fire in Algonquin — 3 Comments

  1. Algonquin Sub Shop – Best subs in McHenry County, bar none.

    Sorry to hear that, hope they are able to reopen soon.

  2. I saw the McHenry/Lake County Scanner, they mentioned the owners of the Sub Shop, were trying to thaw some frozen pipes.

  3. Option 1: Wrap the frozen pipe with hot towels that have soaked in boiling water. Continue to do this until the pipe has thawed completely and the water is running smoothly again.

    Option 2: If you have an electrical outlet near the frozen pipe, heat the frozen area of the pipe with a hair dryer, turned to its highest setting, moving the dryer along the pipe (from the faucet down) until the pipe has thawed. If you do not have a hair dryer, you can also use a heat lamp or small portable heater. In addition, if the pipe is close to the wall, by placing a cookie sheet behind the pipe, heat will be reflected onto the pipe and the thawing time will be reduced.

    Option 3: Wrap the frozen pipe with electric heat tape. In doing this, however, make sure the heat tape is plugged into a grounded electrical socket to prevent electrical shock.

    Note: When applying heat to a frozen pipe, you should never, ever use a blowtorch, which can cause the water in a frozen pipe to boil resulting in an explosion. In addition, you should never use a heating device with an open flame, which can present a serious risk of fire and exposure to combustion fumes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *