Yesterday, State Senator Karen McConnaughay has filed the official paperwork to withdraw her name from the General Election ballot.
She was elected to the State Senate in 2012, following multiple terms chairing the Kane County Board.
Seeking appointment to fill her place on the ballot are the following:
- State Rep. Allen Skillicorn – East Dundee
- Don DeWitte – St. Charles, Kane County’s RTA Board member
- State Rep. Steve Andersson – Geneva, who announced he was not running for re-election after leading the effort to find Republicans to override the Governor’s veto of the Democratic Party’s income tax, plus gathering GOP votes to pass the Equal Rights Amendment.
- Carolyn Schofield – Crystal Lake, who is running for the McHenry County Board and who ran unsuccessfully for State Rep. two years ago, carrying McHenry County.
- Laura Pollastrini – Hampshire, formerly active in DuPage County GOP politics
- Mike McMahon – Elgin, a retired Chicago firefighter
Huntley School Board member Lesli Melendy, who ran a close third in the District 5 McHenry County Board race this spring applied, but later withdrew her name from consideration. She works for Senator McConnaughay.
Should Skillicorn be selected to replace McConnaughay, a vacancy on the fall State Rep. ballot would result.
The primary election results two years ago follow:
2016 Kane County Primary Election Election results follow:
2016 McHenry County Primary Election results follow:
The deadline for replacing candidates is August 23rd.
The selection or selections will be made by the Kane and McHenry County Republican Chairman.
Each gets the number of primary votes cast in their county.
For State Senate, the choice can be made unilaterally by Kane County Chairman Ken Shepro.
Should Skillicorn be appointed the State Senate candidate, there would be a vacancy for State Rep.
Since most of the State Rep. primary votes are in McHenry County, Chairman Diane Evertsen can make the selection.