A press release from Congressman Peter Roskam:
Roskam condemns failure to confront Russian election interference, hostility towards U.S. allies
Washington, D.C. – Representative Peter Roskam (R-IL) released this statement following the press conference held by President Trump and Vladamir Putin:
Russia’s interference with our democratic process is appalling and undeniable.
The President has a responsibility to not only confront Vladimir Putin for attacking our democracy, but to use all tools available to prevent future acts of aggression that could undermine the cornerstone of our republic – free and fair elections.
Vladimir Putin is not our ally – he is a brutal dictator who has undermined our democratic institutions; invaded and continues to illegally occupy the territory of our allies Ukraine and Georgia; and continues to support the massacre of hundreds of thousands in Syria.
We must maintain a united front with our partners around the world to confront Russian aggression.
Today’s press conference was an affront to American democracy and the Intelligence Community and a victory for Russian propaganda.
The President has a duty to hold Vladimir Putin to account.
- Rep. Roskam considers Putin’s regime as a major threat to U.S. national security and international stability that must be confronted on all levels.
- Rep. Roskam stands with the U.S. intelligence community’s findings that Russia actively interfered with the 2016 elections and strongly supports Special Counsel Mueller’s ongoing investigation to hold those responsible accountable.
- Rep. Roskam supported sanctions against Russian entities responsible for interfering in our elections and condemned Russia’s role in the nerve agent attack against Sergei and Yulia Skripal on British territory.
- Rep. Roskam released a statement of support for the anti-Kremlim protests across the Russian Federation.
- Earlier this year, Congress provided $380 million in funding to boost our election infrastructure and $300 million to combat Russian cyberattacks. Rep. Roskam is also leading a resolution condemning Russia’s interference in European elections and calling for robust sanctions against these bad actors.