When former McHenry City Clerk Janice Dalton ran against McHenry County Recorder of Deeds Joe Tirio in the Republican Primary Election last year, she made a joint mailing with McHenry County Clerk Mary McClellan, who was a candidate for Judge.
I was reminded of this when a reader pointed out that Breaker Press did the printing for the post card.
Looking at the campaign finance reports from both candidates, I found the following contributions and spending, none of which, it turns out had to be reported because the total was under the $5,000 threshold:
- $2,000 – Law Officew of Donahue and Walsh, McHenry
- $300 – Susan Zeller, Crystal Lake
- $250 – Martha Buss, McHenry
- $250 – Ron and Anastasia Nye, South Barrington
- $250 – Laura Wfeffer, McHenry
- $200 – Karen Eberling, McHenry
- $755 – too small to report individually
- Breaker Press – $2,600
- Awesome Campaigns – $488
- Unrevealed because under $150 – $900.20
Mary McClellan’s Political Action Committees was called Friends to Elect Mary McClellan.
At the end of June before the March, 2018, Primary Election, her fund has $3,505.72 in the bank.
Contributions and a loan since then follow:
- $10,000 – Mary McClellan loan that was not consummated
- $6,661.77 – Operating Engineers for Diversified Direct, Inc., Bridgeview
- $6,090 – Operating Engineers for GG Media
- $2,000 – NIR, Huntley
- $1,000 – Alliance Contractors, Inc., Woodstock (Charles Ruth)
- $1,000 – Cheers Holdings, LLC, Marengo (Charles Ruth)
- $500 – International Union of Operating Engineers Local 150, Countryside
- $500 – Intren, Union
- $500 – Timothy Lynn, Union
- $350 – Construction and General Laborers, Burr Ridge
- $294 – CL Chamber of Commerce for “Field Work”
- $250 – Patrick Driscoll, Jr,
- $250 – Gary Lang, McHenry
- $250 – McHenry County Building Trades, Crystal Lake
- $242.45 – Daniel Kirk, Chicago
- $200 – Michael Fitzgerald, McHenry
- $193 – Chris Wallace, Chicago
- $150 – Theodore Thayer, Crystal Lake
- $7,396.29 was received in amounts under $150
Spending in amounts of over $150 is below:
- $11,700 – Post Office
- $9,275 – Breaker Press for printing ($35 for gasoline)
- $3,731 – A G E Graphics, Ohio
- $361.38 – Home Depot for supplies
- $300 – Crystal Lake Rib House for room rental
- $187.95 – Sam’s Club for fund raising advertising and promotional items
So, why all the detail from the two campaigns?
Since McClellan’s name is on the joint postcard, it is certainly possible that she could have paid for the postage.
However, if she did, that would have been aa “in-kind contribution” reported on Dalton’s campaign report and either an “expenditure” or a a “transfer out” on McClellan’s.
None of those appear.