From State Rep Allen Skillicorn:
A Grand Green Dream
Crystal Lake, IL –AOC (Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez) must be turning green with envy with the announcement of Illinois’ own brand of the “Green New Deal,” called the “Clean Energy Jobs Act” (SB 2132), committing the state to 100% renewable energy by 2050 along with other wishes in the 365 page utopian manifesto.
Among the many fantastical goals in the proposed bills, the Illinois Opportunity Projected highlighted five:
• 100% renewable everything across the state by 2050 (aka the elimination of fossil fuels- precludes even nuclear energy, which currently accounts for about half of Illinois’ electricity production).
• Replace all gas ranges and furnaces that heat 77% of Illinois homes.
• Install 40 million solar panels and 2,500 wind turbines alongside $20 billion in new infrastructure over the next decade.
• Remove one million gas and diesel vehicles off Illinois roads.
• Provide stipends for clean energy jobs and apprenticeships, including funding for transportation and child care.
Curiously missing from any of the discussions is what all this will cost.
Nationally, AOC’s Green New Deal has been touted as being from inestimable because of its complexity to upwards of $100 trillion.
I would expect the Illinois’ act to consume an eye-popping amount of greenbacks as well.
According to the US Energy Information Agency, over 57% of Illinois’ electricity is generated from 7 nuclear plants, with renewables coming in at just 8.5%.
Nuclear energy technology continues to improve.
It is carbon-free and with advances in reprocessing of the byproduct it offers us the most viable solution to meet our energy demands for the future.
It takes energy to continue to fuel innovation which has made this nation the world’s leading civilization.
I would much rather lead a “Manhattan-style Project” to revolutionize small or micro-nuclear reactors in conjunction with microgrids, than spend billions if not trillions of dollars of money we don’t have for fanciful dreams with unrealistic goals that will crush families in Illinois.