From the Crystal Lake Police Department:
Crystal Lake Police Department Joins ‘Neighbors’ by Ring to Provide Users with Real-Time, Local Crime and Safety Information
The Crystal Lake Police Department announced today that it is joining the Neighbors app to provide the Crystal Lake community with real-time, local crime and safety information.
The Neighbors network already has millions of users and has been instrumental in catching package thieves, stopping burglaries, and keeping neighborhoods safe.
Residents can download the free Neighbors app, join their neighborhood, and use the app to: view neighborhood activity; share crime and safety-related videos, photos and text-based posts; and receive real-time safety alerts from their neighbors, local law enforcement and the Ring team. The Neighbors app is not an alternative to contact police for emergencies or police reports. All crimes should be reported to 911 or the non-emergency number 815-356-3620.
The Crystal Lake Police Department is pleased to establish the partnership with Ring and the Neighbors App as this will provide the Crystal Lake community with the next generation of a modern day virtual “Neighborhood Watch Program”, and improve neighborhood safety by enhancing the flow of information between the residents and police.
Jamie Siminoff, Chief Inventor and Founder of Ring, said: “We’re excited to have the Crystal Lake Police Department join Neighbors to keep their community up-to-date on local crime and safety information. Over the past few years we have learned that, when neighbors, the Ring team and law enforcement all work together, we can create safer communities. Neighbors is meant to facilitate real-time communication between these groups, while maintaining neighbor privacy first and foremost. By bringing security to every neighbor with the free Neighbors app, the Crystal Lake community can stay on top of crime and safety alerts as they happen.”
How It Works
- Text ‘CrystalLakeIL’ to 555888 or click here: https://download.ring.com/crystallake to download the Neighbors app for free on iOS/Android.
- Opt-in to join your neighborhood.
- Customize the geographic area you want to receive notifications (users must verify where they are located and cannot participate in other neighborhoods).
- Receive real-time alerts from your neighbors, local law enforcement and the Ring team that inform of crime and safety alerts as they happen.
- View local crime and safety posts.
- Share text updates, photos and videos taken on any device, including Ring’s home security devices.
- Work with your community to make neighborhoods safer.
- Note: The Crystal Lake Police Department will not monitor the Neighbors app continuously. Please report all crime directly to the police: If an emergency, dial 911. For non-emergency, please call us at 815-356-3620.
The Crystal Lake Police Department will not have access to any videos unless shared by citizens in the Neighbors app. We will also not have access to the exact addresses of those who join. Our restrictions will be the very same restrictions set by Ring for any other user in order to safeguard your privacy.
Ring’s mission is to reduce crime in neighborhoods by creating a Ring of Security around homes and communities. Ring is an Amazon company. The Ring product line, along with Neighbors by Ring, enable Ring to offer affordable, whole-home and neighborhood security devices and services.
For more information, visit www.ring.com.