A comment left by McHenry County Superintendent of Schools Leslie Schermerhorn:
“The McHenry County Regional Office runs on less than $70,000 of County funds.
The non-binding referendum is an attempt to eliminate a State Office that
- has a Truancy Officer covering the entire county,
- licenses educators,
- inspects the 80+ school buildings for safety,
- runs a school for students on the verge of expulsion,
- provides substance abuse education to students, parents and educators,
- performs background checks on everyone who works in and around a school,
- provides professional development classes for educators,
- trains bus drivers,
- provides student GED transcripts, diplomas and work permits,
- among other things.
“Eliminating or restructuring the Regional Office of Education will be a $70,000 savings to taxpayers while eliminating essential services provided by the Regional Office of Education to students, teachers, schools and parents.”
A minimal cost for a multitude of services.