From the Crystal Lake Police Department:
Barricaded Subject Taken into Custody
Crystal Lake, IL – On Friday, February 21, 2020, at approximately 4:29 PM, Crystal Lake Police responded to the 500 block of Darlington Lane for a report of a burglary in progress.
Officers arrived on scene and met with a male subject in the residence who immediately barricaded himself inside the bathroom of the home, threatening officers with a knife.
Officers set up a perimeter on the residence and continued to talk with the armed subject in an attempt to de-escalate the situation.
Additional police units were called to the scene to assist with the incident.
After several hours of negotiations, the male subject surrendered to police without incident.
As a result, Matthew R Reder (24) of McHenry was taken into custody on two active arrest warrants, one from McHenry County and another from DuPage County.
This is an ongoing investigation and additional charges are expected. More information will be provided as it becomes available.
This was an isolated incident believed to be related to a domestic situation.
Matthew Reder (24) was charged with:
- Predatory Criminal Sexual Assault (two counts), class X Felony
- Production of child pornography (two counts), class X Felony
- Possession of child pornography (two counts), class X Felony
- Possession of controlled substance, class 4 Felony
- Aggravated assault, class A Misdemeanor
- Obstructing a peace officer, class A Misdemeanor
- Criminal trespass to residence, class A Misdemeanor C
- Criminal damage to property, a class A Misdemeanor
Reder was transported to McHenry County Jail to await a bond hearing.
There is no danger to the public and there were no injuries to anyone as a result of this incident.
Assisting police agencies included Officers from Cary Police, Algonquin Police, Lake in the Hills Police, Oakwood Hills Police and SWAT Officers from Northern Illinois Police Alarm Service.