By a vote of 70-44 with three Democrats missing, not voting or voting “Present,” Hillside Democrat Chris Welch was elected to succeed Mike Madigan as Illinois House Speaker.
His election certainly shows that the Black Caucus is more cohesive that the Women’s Caucus in the Democratic Party.
Welch was the Chairman of the committee probing Madigan’s Commonweath Edison wong-doing.
In that role he thwarted any significant investigation.
Delighted with his election are
- the Illinois AFL-CIO
- the Illinois Federation of Teachers
- Planned Parenthood
- Equality Illinois
- the Illinois Environmental Council
- the Illinois Clean Jobs Coalition
- Personal PAC
- Faith in Place
- SEIU Local 73
- the Illinois Business Immigration Coalition
- Laborers International Union of North America (LIUNA)
- Chicago Regional Council of Carpenters
- Illinois Education Association
- Gun Violence Prevention PAC
- SEIU Healthcare
In its article, the Chicago Tribune notes,