From the McHenry County Sheriff’s Department:
TWO-VEHICLE CRASH INVOLVING SCHOOL BUS
A Prairie Grove School District 46 school bus was struck head-on in a crash today on Crystal Lake Avenue, near Hamilton Drive in unincorporated Crystal Lake.
At 8:15 a.m., members of McHenry County Sheriff’s Office and Cary Fire Protection District responded to a crash between a silver 2001 Mazda Tribute and a school bus.
Preliminary investigation indicates the driver of the Mazda, James T. Owens, age 21 of Cary, was traveling
eastbound on Crystal Lake Avenue when he crossed over the centerline
The Mazda collided with the school bus head-on, which was traveling westbound on Crystal Lake Avenue.
The students were safely evacuated from the bus, with one minor injury reported.
The injured child was evaluated by the Cary Fire Protection District and subsequently released to a parent.
Owens was taken by ambulance to Northwestern Hospital in McHenry and then airlifted to Advocate Condell Medical Center in Libertyville for serious, non-life-threatening injuries.
A second school bus was sent to the scene to transport the children to school.
The crash investigation is ongoing by the McHenry County Sheriff’s Office.
Arrested: James T. Owens, 21, Cary, Illinois
- Charges Driving under the Influence of Drugs (Class A)
- Possession of Cannabis by Driver (Class A)
- Improper Lane Usage (Petty offense)
- Failure to Reduce Speed to Avoid a Crash (Petty offense)
- Operating Uninsured Motor Vehicle (Petty offense)
- Operating a Motor Vehicle while Using an Electronic Communication Device (Petty offense)
= = = = =
The car had California plates.