A press release about the dedication of historical plaques in Barrington Hills:
TWO BARRINGTON AREA SITES UNVEILING STATE HISTORICAL MARKERS
BARRINGTON HILLS: On Saturday, October 6, 2012 at 1 p.m., two Illinois State Historical Markers will be unveiled, a first ever for the Barrington Area.
Both markers represent sites of early settler history in McHenry County of Barrington Hills.
One marker is at the David Haeger Schoolhouse and Cemetery on Meadow Hill Road and the other is at the Ira C. Goodrich Homestead on Plum Tree Road. Each large historical marker will have a text detailing its history.
Historical markers identify, honor and commemorate the important places, people, and events that have contributed to the State of Illinois’ rich heritage. These markers are our windows to the past and vital education tool, informing people and students about the most significant aspects of Illinois’ past.
The dedication ceremony will begin at the Haeger Schoolhouse and Cemetery with special honor by War of 1812 soldier re-enactors and the Barrington VFW for Otis Drake, a War of 1812 soldier, and David F. Huntley, 95th Infantry Illinois, killed at Vicksburg, May 22, 1863. It is assumed these soldiers had not received this honor previously. Note: A historian and re-enactor from Fort Dearborn Historical Society in Chicago will be attendance.
Haeger School now a residence, was named for the David Haeger Family from Germany, who settled in this part of McHenry County.
Ira Goodrich Homestead
This area was the boyhood home of David Henry Haeger, the eldest son of the Haeger children, who founded the world renowned decorative pottery business in 1871, still in operation today.
The small adjoining Haeger Cemetery was dedicated by deed in 1854, some burials took place prior to this with the oldest headstone dating back to 1842. Four members of the Haeger Family are at rest here, along with the Ira C. Goodrich Family.
The second historical marker unveiling, will take place on the Ira C. Goodrich Homestead – Plum Tree Farm on Plum Tree Road at 3 p.m..
Mr. Goodrich came to McHenry County with his father Peter and his bride, Dolly Jane West in 1843.
This family came from New York leaving behind their relative, Benjamin Franklin Goodrich, who founded the famed rubber tire company in 1870.
As an early pioneer to McHenry County, Goodrich formed the local school system, served as its Director and was Road Master, in addition to farming his land.
This site represents the evolution of land and buildings originally homesteaded in 1843 as a traditional farm, to its adaptation as a gentleman farm in 1926.
It was Chicago Tribune owner and philanthropist Alfred Cowles, along with his sons, his farm manager, who came to Barrington Hills to farm and raise horses as a leisure venture, while enjoying the farm as their countryside retreat. Note: Son, Thomas Cowles was one of its first members at Barrington Hills County Club.
The Goodrich Homestead includes a portion of the road, on which was once an Indian Trail, providing early settlers entry into McHenry County.