Morning came and the snow was high.
Snow half covered the dormer windows.
And, there was a beeping noise in the Skinner household.
It was in the basement next to the furnace.
The carbon monoxide detector.
The furnace was off, but why?
Expert in all sorts of things mechanical Marty Walter of Walter Alarm suggested that the pipes to the outside might be covered with snow and he was right.
The 7th graders dug out the exhaust and intake pipes.
NICOR redirected my call to the Lakewood Fire Department and a fire truck appeared.
Wading down the driveway toward the fire truck on Lake Avenue in Lakewood.
I sent my son and a friend down the driveway to show the firemen which house had made the call.
The boys returned with two firemen.
The boys accomplished their mission.
The firemen made sure the pipes were clear of snow.
The sleepover guys had already shoveled out the pipes, but the fireman made sure.
We were just the second call of the day.
Standing at the intersction of Meridian Street and Lake Avenue looking east, the only vehicle was the fire truck and it was parked.
Although the roads were passable, there was no traffic.
Looking west from Meridian Street, Lake Avenue, usually having plenty of commuter traffic after 7 AM, was empty.