Patriots United’s Joe Edwards traveled to Marengo Saturday morning to talk to Jack Franks at Wisted’s Supermarket. Here is his report:
“Many thanks to Eileen Vogel, Julia Crenshaw, Nancy Cole and Joyce Story for getting the word out on Jack Franks table top visit at Wisteds in Marengo. Key things we learned and had reinforced for us all:
- Of the estimated 20-25 people there, all but several were in attendance to reinforce traditional marriage for the sake of our children and urging Jack to oppose redefinition of marriage. There were excellent remarks on behalf of our children as to why the institution of marriage should not be trifled with
- Jack’s comments:
- He believes this issue should not be even discussed at this time with the financial crisis we have in our state
- He admitted not having read the bill
- He thought there was adequate religious protection in the bill and corrected by citizenry
- He welcomed the input, received several documents including Dr. Morse’ testimony in Springfield that explain why this is bad public policy and Jack promised to read them to be better informed
- He remained non-committal as to his vote
“I personally spoke to Jack one-on-one afterwards, thanking him for his time and informed him his staff was not acknowledging emails or calls of concerned constituents.
“He indicated disappointment with this information and promised to speak to his staff.
“I know most all of us agree that civility is the best policy in these forums.
“As conservatives, we wish to treat everyone with dignity, even in our frustration and when we feel we are not being treated in kind.
“Giving people the courtesy of listening, finishing their thoughts and only then responding is always in order.
“I was very encouraged and honored to be among such caring people who attended and treated Jack respectfully.
“To the one gentleman who simply could not cease his criticism, let’s extend grace toward him and encourage him to trust in the Lord during these trying times.
“We all share his frustration but I believe we realize there is a kinder path that can be a powerful witness as we speak the truth, in love.
“Let’s keep the pressure on in the days ahead.
“And if you have any strong articles or white papers that you believe bolster our arguments, now is the time to get them into Jack’s hands.
“We know what the Bible says on this matter.
“But our legislative body needs more than Biblical proof-texting.
“Some scoff at the Bible.
“So let’s give them what they can absorb.
“They need sound arguments from academia and they are out there.
“The key is to get Jack to read them.”
= = = = =
Anyone with photos from the event is invited to email them to McHenry County Blog. Look at the left side of the page to find the email button.