Hultgren to Host Common Core Education Summit Educators & Community Leaders to Discuss National Standards on Wednesday at McHenry County College
Washington, D.C. — Congressman Randy Hultgren (IL-14) will host a Common Core Summittomorrow, August 28, to discuss the Common Core Standards (CCS), federal education curriculum guidelines that focus on English and math competencies for college preparedness.
“Parents and educators are rightly concerned about the state of American education as students fall further behind the world in knowledge and competitiveness,” said Rep. Hultgren.
“Before it is implemented in our own state, we need to have an open and transparent conversation about the Common Core and the role of the federal government in our education system.
“This summit will bring together parents, educators, administrators and thought-leaders for a robust discussion.”
The Common Core State Standards Initiative began in spring of 2009 and currently 46 states have agreed to adopt the standards.
It is scheduled to be fully implemented in Illinois school districts by the 2014-2015 school year.
Rep. Hultgren is co-chair of the House National Labs and Science Caucus where he actively supports raising the bar for STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) education to meet the knowledge and skills demands for the future.
WHAT: Common Core Education Summit
- Rep. Randy Hultgren (IL-14)
- Bruno Behrend, Executive Director, For the Good of Illinois and Senior Fellow for Education Policy, The Heartland Institute
- Dr. Susie Morrison, Deputy Superintendent, Illinois State Board of Education and Chief Education Officer
- Michael J. Petrilli, Executive Vice President, Thomas B. Fordham Institute
- Erin Raasch, Founder, StopCommonCoreIllinois.org
- Ben Schwarm, Deputy Executive Director, Illinois Association of School Boards
- Bob Bowdon, Executive Director of ChoiceMedia.TV, an education reform news service and Director, The Cartel
WHEN: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:00 p.m. CDT Doors open, 7:00 p.m. CDT Program begins
WHERE: McHenry County College, Luecht Conference Center, Building B, Room 171, 8900 US Hwy 14, Crystal Lake, IL 60012