Prediction on CFI – Down the Tube, Replaced by Triple Left Lanes on Algonquin Road, Doubles on Randall

Pressure has been building to kill the Continuous Flow Intersection at Algonquin and Randall Roads.

After tomorrow’s meeting the idea will be in the trash can.

One could tell at the last Transportation Committee meeting that Committee Chairwoman Anna May Miller did not have the four solid votes needed to send the proposal to the full County Board.

Last Thursday’s secret meeting held with stakeholders and officials from Algonquin and Lake in the Hills had no support for the CFI solution proposed by the Transportation Department.

Design of triple left turn lanes in Florida.

Design of triple left turn lanes in Florida.

The alternative, triple left turn lanes on Algonquin Road on both sides of Randall Road received more support.

An argument put forward for the CFI was that it would probably qualify for a Federal Highway Administration demonstration grant.  Those typically have the Federal taxpayers footing 80% of the bill with local government picking up the other 20%.

Since I had to go to Florida to find examples of “triple lefts,” my guess is that it could be successfully submitted to the Feds as a “demonstration” project.

It would also give all those who ardently supported the CFI a graceful way out.

The pertinent part of the agenda packet for Wednesday morning’s 8:15 meeting, which could be live streamed because it is being held in the County Board room, but probably won’t be because the County is not that dedicated to transparency, can be seen below:

These blanks are in a resolution that the Committee Chairwoman wants voted upon by the full County Board on September 16th.

These blanks are in a resolution that the Committee Chairwoman wants voted upon by the full County Board on September 16th.

This is the biggest upcoming highway expenditure and less than two weeks before the date a final vote is proposed, County Board members do not even know its content.


Comments

Prediction on CFI – Down the Tube, Replaced by Triple Left Lanes on Algonquin Road, Doubles on Randall — 2 Comments

  1. It should be a state law that any and all public meetings are required to be taped and a legible copy placed on an easy to find website.

    The preferred method is live streamed, secondary method video taped, but at the very least, audio taped.

    And there needs to be a significant consequence for not doing so, such as civil and criminal penalties.

    What’s happened the last 40+ years?

    Politicians passed pension and retiree healthcare benefit hiking legislation that has dragged the state into financial dire straits yet the very same politicians have not passed legislation mandating recording of live meetings.

    Inexcusable.

    Vote against any politician that does not agree to record a live meeting.

    Many elementary school kids could tape a board meeting and put it on a website.

  2. And the new proposed cost will be….?

    Is adding access roads the major part of the huge cost?

    Why can’t cost be included in these discussions?

    Doesn’t matter if feds paying 80%, still our tax money.

    Feds just printing extra money.

    They don’t have it either.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.