When last we looked at the State Senate District that Karen McConnaughay now holds, there were six candidates to replace her on the ballot this fall:
- State Rep. Allen Skillicorn – East Dundee
- Don DeWitte –former St. Charles Mayor, Kane County’s RTA Board member
- State Rep. Steve Andersson – Geneva, who announced he was not running for re-election after leading the effort to find Republicans to override the Governor’s veto of the Democratic Party’s income tax, plus gathering GOP votes to pass the Equal Rights Amendment.
- Carolyn Schofield – Crystal Lake, who is running for the McHenry County Board and who ran unsuccessfully for State Rep. two years ago, carrying McHenry County.
- Laura Pollastrini – Hampshire, formerly active in DuPage County GOP politics (she ran against Jeanne Ives for State Rep.)
- Mike McMahon – Elgin, a retired Chicago firefighter
Now word has reached McHenry County Blog that three are out of the running:
- State Rep. Steve Andersson
- Former McHenry County Board member Carolyn Schofield, who carried McHenry County in her attempt to win a seat in the Illinois House and is now a County Board candidate in District 2
- Mike McMahon, the retired Chicago firefighter
- State Rep. Allen Skillicorn
- Kane County RTA Board member and former St. Charles Mayor Don DeWiltte
- Laura Pollastrini, an attorney, now a Hampshire resident, but who ran against Jeanne Ives for State Rep. in DuPage County
Since most of the GOP primary votes in the 33rd State Senate District are in Kane County, the Kane County Republican Party Chairman can appoint anyone he desires.
Delaying the selection, however, plays into the hands of Democratic Party candidate Nancy Zettler, who has workers knocking on doors and was in the Crystal Lake Independence Day Parade.