A Friend of McHenry County Blog pointed me to this Change.org petition to Marengo resident and McHenry County Board Chairman Jack Franks:
Would you want to live next to a slaughterhouse? Most people agree that this is the wrong kind of business for their community. Please urge county officials put the breaks on the proposed slaughterhouse in Marengo!
The City of Marengo passed a Resolution in 2018 opposing a proposed bird, sheep and lamb slaughterhouse at 21804 W. Grant Highway, arguing the a “poultry processing” facility was not permitted according to zoning laws and, even if it was, such a business would be “highly offensive” to the community.
But McHenry County officials pushed the proposal forward despite public outcry, and with no meaningful public input.
We say: Not So Fast! Please sign the petition urging Officials to hold a public hearing and let the people most impacted by a new slaughterhouse have their say!
TAKE ONE MORE ACTION!
After you sign this petition, please call Franks at (815) 334-4224 and follow up with an email to email@example.com
Why Oppose this Slaughterhouse?
There is well-documented evidence that slaughterhouses have numerous negative impacts on communities which include:
- The fact that Coronavirus and other recent zoonotic pandemics originate in live animal markets,
- Risk of infectious disease outbreaks, like bird flu, swine flu, salmonella and E. coli, due to unsanitary conditions and diseased animals,
- Decreasing property values,
- Increasing crime rates, especially violent crimes, wherever and whenever they open,
- Emitting offensive odors from dead and decaying animals,
- Making noisy, late night deliveries of animals,
- Providing hazardous working conditions (workers suffer some of the highest rates of disease infection, physical injury, PTSD, substance abuse and domestic violence),
- Increasing rodent infestation,
- Polluting the environment with wastewater, toxic cleaning agents, and dead animal disposal which can lead to contamination of groundwater, soil and air,
- Keeping animals in filthy and miserable conditions which breeds disease and suffering (see our video to get a glimpse of what the typical slaughterhouse is like at https://slaughterfreechicago.com/slaughterhouses-conditions/