Joe Roeser has strated a Change.org petition to encourage the McHenry County Conservation District to establish a park where dogs could run free.
It is below:
[See below for petition link.]
Mission Statement of the McHenry County Conservation District
The McHenry County Conservation District exists to preserve, restore and manage natural areas and open spaces for their intrinsic value and for the benefits to present and future generations.
Establishing an off-leash dog park will aid this mission by-
- Providing healthy exercise and reducing depression, stress, and grief for both people and dogs
- Building a community of dog lovers across all ages and social-economic classes.
- Providing a safe place for dogs to exercise and socialize away from traffic and other dangers in the face of increasingly restrictive leash laws.
- Reducing leash law violations by offering an alternative.
- Attract new users from inside and out of the county.
MCC’s General Use Ordinance which regulates site use requires dogs to always be on a leash and under the immediate and direct control of their human companion. The reasoning for this is two-fold, safety/courtesy for other site users and protection of habitat, wildlife, and environmental impact issues. However, it should be noted that-
- A designated off-leash area will allow other, dog adverse, site users more opportunities to avoid unwanted canine interactions.
- Hunting dogs are already permitted off-leash.
- Interference with wildlife and harm to natural environments is a foreseeable impact of all human activity in a conservation site. But as with hunting, fishing, hiking, snowmobiling, and other activities, it can be managed to maximum mitigation of undue harm.
It has been stated that other taxing bodies in the county offer dog parks. However, these tend to be small and costly for non-residents. On the other hand, other neighboring forest preserves and conservation districts have found dog parks to be valuable assets.
While any increased public use and more active recreation will create greater costs to operate, there are many options to reduce the overall operating expense and even make it revenue neutral. These include volunteers, sponsorships, and user fees.
We, the undersigned, hereby respectfully request that the McHenry County Conservation District Board of Trustees establish one or more off-leash dog parks at whichever district sites may be found to be most suitable. We urge that the greatest possible number of acres be devoted for this use.
= = = = =
28 have signed. Let’s get to 100!At 100 signatures, this petition is more likely to be featured in recommendations!Crystal Lake, 60014United States
Display my name and comment on this petitionSign this petition