I don’t subscribe to the Daily Herald, so can only show the summary of the story;
An ad hoc Kane County budget committee voted this week to recommend the full county board seek a 0.5% county sales tax on the November ballot. This would help fund the justice system reforms mandated by the state through the SAFE-T ACT. Full Story
= = = = =
Anyone think such a referendum will pass?
= = = = =
The committee, on a 5-1 vote (with Committee Member Cliff Surges (R, Gilberts) absent) advanced the recommendation for higher taxes, including the 0.5% tax increase, to the County’s Finance/Budget Committee meeting on Wednesday.
The five Members voting (not said in the Daily Herald article) in favor are:
- Committee Chairman Dale Berman (D, North Aurora), who has the most changed District from Democrat to Republican in November, and Berman is in his late 80s.
- Michelle Gumz (D, Aurora), who’s in a safe district
- Chris Kious (D, Algonquin), who’s in a toss-up district facing Republican Greg Buck of Algonquin in the fall
- Ron Ford (D, Aurora), who faces Dean Seppelfrick in the fall
- Vern Tepe (D, Elgin), who faces a strong Republican challenger in former ECC Board Member Jeffrey Meyer
The Berman, Kious and Tepe districts, along with the 19th District are the “Core 4” districts the Republicans can flip, based on analytics (assuming the Republicans can hold their own).
The Republicans need a net 2 gain of seats to be the majority on the Kane County Board.
The County’s Finance/Budget Committee is Wednesday morning at 9AM CDT (the same day as the county conventions).