After reading the Chicago Tribune’s op-ed piece by Clarence Page on banned books, I wondered what the situation is in McHenry County.
The image for the column is a man reading something called “Gender Queer.”
So, I sent out a Freedom of Information request to school Districts. I lot bounced back because of being tied to individuals’ email addresses.
I picked these three books:
- “Gender Queer: A Memoir” by Maia Kobabe
- “Out of Darkness” by Ashley Hope Pérez
- “The Hate U Give” by Angie Thomas
and asked if the district had them and, if so, when were they purchased, plus whether had been withdrawn from circulation.
The Riley Grade School District sent the following reply:
The reply was
1. Our library currently has “The Hate U Give” by Angie Thomas in our collection. It was added to the collection on December 17, 2020. We do not have the other two books in our collection.
2. No books listed have been removed from our collection.